Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike

UPDATE: So far we know that we lost our whole fence. We think that might be the extent of our damage! Kenny's grandparents' chimney fell over. They live a few streets from us. We are heading back as soon as the storm has passed with more ice and supplies for the neighbors (you know, the ones we like!).
We just received a call. The roof blew off Kenny's shop . Luckily, he anticipated this, and moved his equipment out. So he didn't loose any expensive equipment, just the space itself.
In my neighborhood yesterday.....


Ike Rita Go Away


Gas stations without gas.

At noon, my dad took the kids to Austin with him on his was out of town for work. Kenny and I originally decided to stay behind. At 11:30pm, we changed our minds, and left for my parents' house, arriving after 2am. The traffic was heavy, but not too bad. From Houston to Austin, only two gas stations had any gas left (Although, we filled up two of our cars days ago, and filled the truck early in the day yesterday. So we were fine.) The lines to get into those gas stations were backed up on the 290. It was slightly eerie.

I was apprehensive about leaving the house behind. What do you take? I doubt being on the northwest side of Houston that we will see more than a little siding and shingle damage. But the what-ifs are not fun. I took my baby blanket I have saved. My computer. Some files, passports, all the cash in our house. As I walked through the house, turning off both the AC units, all the lights, locking windows, I found Emmi's "Rar-Rar" left behind on her bed. I grabbed it, feeling that the little leopard couldn't weather the storm alone.

6 comments:

Sheri said...

CHICKEN!!!

We are holding tight.

Tina said...

Thinking of you all.

Tricia said...

Sheri, I have a song for you...

If you get bored of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' you can always switch to singing, "like two sparrows in a hurricane...."

HUNKER DOWN! Meanwhile, Kenny and I hit the river and BBQed ribs.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you guys do it! Hurricanes scare the bejezzus out of me. Be careful, and sending best wishes your way!

Anonymous said...

dude I've been thinking about you guys today, glad you're all in one piece, but sorry to hear about Kenny's roof, that sucks.

btw those john stewart clips just totally made my day!

Allie said...

Glad to hear the damage wasn't too bad. My parents are okay too, my dad's office windows blew out and the front window at my parents house. The lattice is all gone from their deck but both decks are still standing and their tree broke in half. All in all, not too bad.