Today is not a good day. It might be the complete opposite from good day.
If you follow Emmi's story on her blog, then you know that her left cochlear implant has been giving us (okay, not really me, that thing is not in my head) some trouble for quite some time. The electrodes shifted. There has been a short between two other electrodes. We have been watching and waiting to see what needed to be done for a few months. Re-implantation had been discussed, but put off.
Last week, Emmi started complaining of pain in her ear. Then she stopped wearing her implant. Last night we were up all night with Emmi in so much pain that I finally relented and gave her codeine. Today, after several phone calls back and forth with her ENT and Audiologist and many other team members it was determined that a CT scan was needed now. Or, like, yesterday. There is some thought that the implant has shifted more. There could be infection around implant. Perhaps it will need to come out now. We don't really know what is going on, but the doctor is worried. Surgery was said a lot during the conversation.