Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Two Hours and Counting

It is five a.m. I have been up for two hours, so far. I used to sleep well, you know, before I had kids. This time it is Emmi's fault. Well, not really. But I am up because of her.

She is congested again. Congestion and Emmi do not mix well. Beyond the usual discomfort, congestion causes Emmi to choke and throw up. It is a combination of the malformation of the soft palate and her low tone. She still isn't stung enough to really cough. So she never clears any of the drainage from her throat. She ends up choking and throwing up, and sometimes she doesn't wake up. There have been times that I hear a strange sound over the monitor, and I go up to find her choking. So needless to say, I am a bit paranoid when she gets congested. She started coughing at about two this morning. I checked on her three times in thirty minutes. I gave her more medicine. She went back to sleep. But I didn't.

Then I started thinking about everything I had to do today. I have work and classes to take. I want to go to the gym. Emmi has therapy and needs new tap shoes. Jill has a hair appointment this afternoon. And with all of that running through my head, there was no way I could get back to sleep. So here I am, at five a.m., working. Good news is I will now have time to go to the gym, take Emmi to therapy, get tap shoes, and go to Jill's hair appointment without having to work until ten o'clock tonight!

1 comment:

Karen Putz said...

Thank you for your support on the Steak 'n shake issue!